Thursday, May 20

Your Back to the Island Teaser Quotation

Good morning, everyone. I'm going to be away for the day taking care of some personal stuff (and because of this I'm afraid I'm going to have to miss the Times Talks simulcast tonight - my sincere thanks to Gravyboat for the invite, and my sincere apologies for having to bow out) but before I vamoose I wanted to give you a teaser quote for tomorrow's installment of Back to the Island. I loved "What They Died For," even moreso the second time through. I think that'll come through in the final column, which will post tomorrow as usual. Have a great day, take care of one another, and thanks once again for reading.

"Most of us have learned to be dispassionate about evil, to look it in the face and find, as often as not, our own grinning reflections with which we do not argue, but good is another matter. Few have stared at that long enough to accept that its face too is grotesque, that in us the good is something under construction. The modes of evil usually receive worthy expression. The modes of good have to be satisfied with a cliché or a smoothing down that will soften their real look.” – Flannery O’Connor, Mystery and Manners: Occasional Prose

1 comment:

  1. beautiful quote. i love me some Flannery O'Connor! Morse, i mainly came by just to say thanks for all of the incredible insight that you've written about LOST. i feel like i've almost started anticipating your "Back To The Island" installments after each episode almost as much as the episodes themselves.

    also, i wanted to see if you've ever done much reading/study of Ecclesiastes? some of your commentary for "Across The Sea" (namely portions about whether the Light is a good or a bad thing) reminded me of some passages in Ecclesiastes (the danger of knowledge, etc). also made me think that there might be some deeper themes within the book that might link to LOST themes. just curious...

    keep up the incredible work!

    ReplyDelete